Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Have you been to the Jaipur zoo?




"Have you been to the Jaipur zoo?"

I considered the question carefully, as I was having a pleasant conversation with three locals who were quizzing me about my experiences after three weeks in India. I quickly ramshackled through my mind to try to recall if I’d read anything about a zoo in Jaipur, but I couldn’t find anything. I answered slowly. 

" No, I haven’t."

Also most in unison, my conversation partners responded,

 "Don’t bother, it’s in the streets."

At this point, perhaps because I looked a bit puzzled, they began to list the animals in the Jaipur zoo: 

"Camels, elephants, cattle, donkeys, pigs, goats, dogs, and horses".

Oh, yes, now I get it. The streets of Jaipur are a sort of zoo. I might add that I’ve yet to see a cat. Iowa Guru has spotted a rat, and we’ve both spied one monkey (which are quite numerous in some cities). 

Yes, it’s quite a collection here. Through in all of the people and vehicles, and you have a better sense of what it’s like to take to the streets of Jaipur. And I have no idea if Jaipur has a traditional zoo, but if it did, I can't help but think that it would be a disappointment compared to the what's on display in the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment