Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Congradulations Iowa & America--and Thank You

Dear Fellow Iowans,

Iowa Guru and I woke up early this morning, traveled to a local hotel, downed mochas and hot chocolates, and watched with tremendous joy as President Obama surged to reelection. The happiness we experienced as a result of his reelection was enhanced by the fact that we Iowans contributed to it. I have no doubt that our nation, although by a frustratingly thin margin, made by far the better decision in choosing President Obama over Gov. Romney. Our joy (and pride) was increased by the fact that Iowa joined the better part of our nation in making this choice

I also want to especially congratulate Iowa on retaining Justice Wiggins. This is a major victory for our Iowa legal system. The attempt of Bob Vander Platts and his ilk to politicize our judiciary caught many of us flat-footed two years ago and a harm was done. This time, however, the forces of reason and good judgment prevailed. I must say I took no small delight in seeing Vander Platts speaking after their defeat attempting to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I fervently hope and believe that the Vander Platts era of subjecting our judiciary to this type of political demagoguery has passed. We're never probably completely safe, but I think this marks a great, great victory.

In this new land where Iowa Guru and I are living, we see far too many instances of government fails to work from the local level to the national level. It is a great shame, as it inhibits the advancement and improvement of life of 1.1 billion people. I am glad our nation has chosen to reject the agenda of the radical Republican right. As a former Republican, I can only hope that this evil spirit that has overtaken this Grand Old Party will now be released and that it will return to the better angels of its nature.

Know that the celebration continues here in Jaipur while you are sleeping. There are no free lunches and no easy roads ahead, but we will sleep a joyful sleep tonight on the basis of this election. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray indeed!
    I am a little sleepy today after staying up to hear his speech but I am very happy.
    Glad you were able to catch the events & newsfeed in your remote location!

    ReplyDelete