Wednesday, November 13, 2013

India Journal: Biting (and Unappetizing) News

Iowa Guru & I receive The Hindu delivered to our door. It's one of the better papers in India. After perusing the front page with its photos of politicians, alphabet soup of agencies and parties, and court cases (I think Indians much more litigious than Americans), I turn to page 3 for the local news. 

On one side I saw that a rabid dog here in TRV bit 13 people plus a number of other dogs. The accompanying photo showed dog catchers in action--after the fact. I hadn't seen many stray dogs here in TRV, unlike Jaipur, where I saw many, including some packs that made me nervous. (They, however, never bothered me.) The dogs in Jaipur tended to docility, to put it mildly. They often slept by day (looking quite dead) and caroused at night. Well, here in our neighborhood, we haven't seen many dogs, so that's a good sign. 

On the other side of page 3 I read an article about a typhoid outbreak here in town. Health officials blamed it on unsanitary conditions on restaurants. Nasty. Fortunately, IG is pretty careful about where we eat; on the other hand, the place we intended to go yesterday was closed down "for inspection". Perhaps we dodged a bullet. I worry abit because in my second year in India I've become a bit more bold. 

 
I wouldn't even think of a drinking something, but the deep-fried goodness down the road tempts me beyond my resistence

Just a short way from our apartment, around the zoo and museum park, are a number of food vendors. I've tried some deep-fried goodies, one of which I now refer to as "atomic meteors", which I find pretty tasty. Atomic meteors are like giant balls of onion ring goodness with some chilli powder added to achieve the appropriate radioactive glow. Round and jagged in shape, they look like small meteors and taste like heaven. So health-worker types, am I safe with deep-fried (on-site) goodies?  (Wrapped in newspaper, of course). 

Okay, I'm starting to lose my appetite and believe that I don't like dogs. I'd better stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment